Washington Access Fund
100 South King Street, Suite 280
Seattle, WA 98104
CCTV RENTAL PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
The Washington Access Fund’s CCTV rental program provides an affordable way for low-income individuals with significant vision loss to pay for the magnification tools they need to live independently. Through this program, the Access Fund offers CCTV magnifiers at an affordable cost ($25 per month for black and white and $35 per month for color) for long-term rental.
The role of the Access Fund’s CCTV’s in helping our clients maintain their independence was affirmed by our Fall 2009 survey – completed by 24 current borrowers. In terms of reasons for renting a CCTV: 23 out of 24 (95.83%) respondents reported that they could only afford the equipment through the rental program; 37.5% were unsure if a CCTV would meet their needs and approximately 12.5% reported that their vision was still changing.
Although a majority of the renters (62.5%) had not used a CCTV before, 100% reported that learning to use it was easy, with 59% reporting it to be “very easy.”
In terms of frequency of use, 91.7% reported that they use the CCTV on a daily basis. The other 8.3% use their CCTVs on a weekly basis.
In terms of how the CCTVs are used: 66.67% of the respondents use the CCTV to read the newspaper, periodicals or books. Nearly 63% use it to read prescriptions and review other medial information. Other activities include paying bills (62.5%), corresponding (54.16%), cooking (50%), arts and crafts (20.83%), personal hygiene (nails, etc.) (16.67%), and school work (8.33%).
In terms of impact of the CCTV:
95% reported improvements in the ability to do things on their own with 68% reporting strong or very strong improvements
About 88% reported improvements in their ability to undertake tasks of daily living
87.5% reported an improved ability to do home & personal management activities
81% reported improved self-confidence
About 68% reported improvements in their ability to stay in their current living situation
And 68.2% reported improvements on their ability to manage medical issues, health or personal safety
66.7% reported improvements in the ability to manage finances
58.3% reported improvements in the ability to interact with friends and loved ones
And 47.8% reported an improved ability to participate in community activities (through, e.g., increased awareness of activities available; reading the newspaper, etc.)
91% reported that they were satisfied or highly satisfied with the program.
Other Important information (demographics based on 46 current renters):
54% of the renters are 85 or older; 96% are post-retirement age (66+)
Of those reporting (41), 68% have per capita incomes of $1500 a month or less, 37% have per capita incomes of less than $1000.The median per capita income is a little more than $1200.
96% of renters are retired or on disability. One renter is self employed part-time; another is a full time student.
Approximately 68% live in one person households and 61% are women
What our Renters have to Say…
"I could not manage my finances without the CCTV."
"I was in the hospital for three days recently, which is unpleasant enough, but without my CCTV I was totally lost."
"As my husband said before, I call it my life-line."
"Thank you very much!"
"In spite of eye disease progress, this equipment improves my life many times a day."