Return Home Apply For Loans Your Account

Change Font Size:
smaller | larger | reset

Washington Access Fund
100 South King Street, Suite 280
Seattle, WA 98104
206-328-5116 Voice
1-888-494-4775 TTY
206-328-5126 Fax

Funding Vehicle Modifications

Paying for vehicle adaptations or adapted vehicles can be challenging!  Here is a list of common funding options! This list is provided for informational purposes only. Washington Access Fund does not endorse any particular assistive technology device, vendor or manufacturer.  Please send updates, suggestions or information about other vehicle modification funding resources to  

Vehicle Modification Rebates
Most vehicle manufacturers offer rebates – typically up to $1000 -- to cover part of the cost of needed modifications.  Some companies restrict rebates to brand new vehicles; others cover vehicles up to five years old so check with your particular manufacturer.

Daimler Chrysler
Learn how to receive $1000 for installation of adaptive equipment to new Daimler Chrysler vehicles.

Ford Motors
Receive up to $1000 for the cost of installed equipment on new Ford motor vehicles.

General Motors & Saturns
Receive up to $1000 for adaptations to new GM vehicles (within 12 months of purchase).

Receive up to $1000 for vehicle adaptations

Learn how to receive up to $1000 for adaptations to vehicles years 2001 and newer

Receive up to $1000 for adaptations to purchased or leased vehicles 2001 and later models.

Receive up to $1000 in financial assistance toward the cost of adding adaptive equipment to an eligible new Volvo or up to $200 on alert hearing devices. 

Loans are the most common way to pay for modified vehicles.   Before you start shopping, check with your bank or credit union re what rates they have available.  Most dealers also offer some type of financing.
Use this site to see if you are getting the best deal on your loan and compare rates for auto loans.

Washington Access Fund
Provides low interest loans up to $25,000 for adaptive technology & home & vehicle accessibility modifications. 
Phone: 206-328-5116
Toll Free: 1-877-428-5116
TTY:  206-494-4775

American Association of People with Disabilities & Digital Federal Credit Union 
Membership in AAPD is $15.00 per year. 
For an additional $5.00 deposit, you can join the Digital Federal Credit Union which offers Access & Mobility Loans up to $100,000 with up to 72 months to repay.  This is a particularly appropriate option for families with excellent credit records since the rate depends upon credit rating.  Click here for an application to join both organizations at the Credit Union’s website.
Phone: 202-457-0046 (V/TTY)
Toll Free: 800-840-8844 (Toll Free V/TTY)

Express Credit Union

Express CU can research the average retail values of vehicles and pre-approve you for your loan before you buy. Express CU offers loans for new or used vehicles, and loans can be pre-approved for up to 60 days. Express also has a matched savings account for low income individuals that can cover some initial purchase costs.  GAP (Guaranteed Auto Protection) Insurance, protects you against financial loss in the event that your car is damaged beyond repair or stolen and never recovered. Express CU also offers loans for RVs, motorcycles and boats. (206) 622-1850 or send an email to

Other Funding Sources

Private Insurance
Insurance will occasionally cover vehicle modifications.  If your insurance policy includes coverage for “durable medical equipment,” or prosthetics, check the list of “exclusions” to see if vehicle modifications specifically “excluded.”  If not, check definitions of DME & prosthetics to see if you can argue that vehicle modifications should be covered as DME or prosthetics. 

Vocational Rehabilitation
WAC 388-891-0665: If you need a vehicle for employment and you are a client of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, talk with your DVR counselor.  DVR may pay for the vehicle modifications (but generally not the vehicle) if it is written into your Individual Plan For Employment.   Here are some of the conditions that must first be met:

  • DVR does not have a question about your driving safety
  • Your disability is stable or slowly progressive and not likely to impair your driving ability in the future, if you plan to drive the vehicle.
  • You and/or a family member is the registered and/or legal owner of the vehicle.
  • You have a current driver's license and vehicle license with required endorsements for you and/or family member(s) who will operate the vehicle.
  • If a used vehicle is to be modified, you have provided documentation of an inspection from a certified or journey level auto mechanic that verifies the vehicle is in good condition and capable of being modified.
  • You have had an evaluation from a vehicle modification specialist unless the only modifications requested are:  placement of a wheelchair lift, ramp, or scooter lift and tie downs for passenger access only;replacement of hand controls; Wheelchair carriers; or Other minor driving aids.
  • You have vehicle insurance adequate to cover the cost of replacement for loss or damage, including the cost of the modification.
  • You have demonstrated or provided documentation that verifies you and/or family member(s) designated as a driver can safely operate the vehicle as modified.

Department of Labor & Industries
RCW 51.36.020(8)(a):  If the vehicle modifications are needed because of an industrial injury resulting in amputation or paralysis, L&I (or employer if self-insured) may pay up to 50% of the state’s average annual wage towards to cost of vehicle modifications. An additional $4000 may be allocated at the discretion of the Department.

Veterans Administration
38 USC 39:  Veterans and service members may be eligible for a one-time payment of not more than $11,000 toward the purchase of an automobile or other conveyance for certain service connected injuries.  They may also be eligible for adaptive equipment, and for repair, replacement, or reinstallation required because of disability, and for the safe operation of a vehicle purchased with VA assistance. To apply, contact a VA regional office at 1-800-827-1000 or the nearest VA medical center.

  • 2230 8th Avenue,
    Seattle, WA 98121
    Phone: 206-553-2706
  • W. 1708 Mission St.
    Spokane, WA 99201
    Phone: 509-327-0274
  • 4916 Center St., Suite E
    Tacoma, WA 98409
    Phone: 253-565-7038

Medicaid - coverage eliminated in 2010

PASS Plans
PASS Plans allow you to set aside income for a short or long term employment goal (which may have an educational component).  Income set aside can be used to help you keep or qualify for SSI benefits and Medicaid. You can get assistance in determining eligibility and applying for a PASS plan through a Benefits Planning Assistance Office.  BPAO planners in Washington include:

  • Employment Security Department which serves all counties except for King and Kitsap Counties
    Toll Free:  1-866-497-9443
  • Positive Solutions which serves King County and Kitsap County. 
    King County Phone: 206-322-8181
    Kitsap County Phone: 360-405-0620

Tax Deductions
If the vehicle is needed for medical or employment purposes, some or all of the cost may be deductible as a medical expense (IRS Publication 502) or impairment related work expense (IRS Publication 529).  Check with your tax preparer or go to and search for these publications or Publication 3966 which provides an overview of potentially relevant tax deductions for people with disabilities.